You should be able to scroll U/D and L/R to see everything. Yellow highlight dates are open. As we fill slots, this site will stay up to date.
Final colloquium schedule will be posted before the beginning of each semester at
Process notes from Jo Ann Kvamme (4/27/18):
- Speakers are solicited from the Geosciences Faculty
- one slot each semester is reserved for a speaker sponsored by the GEOS External Advisory Board
- Suggestions for speakers are solicited from the Geosciences Faculty
- Off campus speaker expenses are generally covered by the inviting faculty member
- If a speaker requires Department funds, prior approval from GEOS Chair is required.
- Society sponsored speakers (AAPG, AWG, AAG, AGU, etc)
- Expenses are generally mostly covered by the organization with some expenses paid by the department – all department expenses require prior GEOS Chair approval
- All suggested speakers are considered, prioritized and contacted about participation (in the event the slots for the semester are full I ask if we want to place the speaker on a “potential speaker” for the next semester or can set a date for the next semester).
It is best if we can fill the lectures for the semester the previous semester. I keep a running calendar (now live above) so we can also place suggestion speakers and dates for two semesters out.
- Sponsored speakers are usually locked in first since these must be booked early
- Faculty bringing speakers to campus (we try to accommodate speakers who are visiting – however this is not always possibly depending on the speakers previously booked.)
- Faculty on Campus (we try to have campus faculty (or those not needing a hotel room] on football, BBB weekends since hotels may be hard to find and require multiple night stay)
- We try to insure there is something for everyone in the department with a variety of subject matter